Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Leads me "beside quiet waters"


Psalm 23 is one of the classic Christian passages of all time and I thought it was a wonderful passage to reflect on this past week and in light of our Baptism service this past Sunday. One of the girls in Ellen's group along with 18 other people got baptized this past weekend. As I heard many people's stories from the videos I thought how many were the same in that they were lost or looking for some "pool of water to satisfy" them like ambition, career, romance, just being liked but in the end God found them and directed them to the water that would truly satisfy them.

I thought of my own testimony and how I came to Cal as an anxious, insecure, yet cocky East Coaster. I based my identity on what others thought of me instead of being a genuinely loved child of God. Indeed, God has been the good shepherd who has led me "beside quiet waters" - to live a life that is centered on loving Him and loving others. Any other pursuit - for man's attention - is certainly not worth it.  The message of how God has been leading my whole life and nothing has been by chance really hit me once again and I was really humbled.  God knows what is best for my life and I need to be humble to receive this and let him guide me by letting his rod and staff comfort me - protecting me from sin and molding and shaping me into the person of love he wants me to be. 

No comments: